The Best Multilingual Resources For Parents

Online and hard-copy resources can be useful aids in helping to engage parents, though I’d suggest that they be used by educators as openings to initiate genuine conversations — not as ends in themselves.

I thought readers might find a collection of what I think are decent multilingual resources that could be used in this context.

This post is a supplement to two other “The Best…” lists:

The Best Sources Of Parent Engagement Advice For Teachers

The Best Ideas On How Parents Can Help Their Kids Succeed Academically

You can also find all my parent engagement-related “The Best” lists here.

Here are my choices for The Best Multilingual Resources For Parents:

“But What If I Don’t Know English?” is another great resource from Colorin Colorado, and it’s available in Spanish and and in English. It shares ideas on how parents who don’t speak English can still help their children develop literacy skills.

Ed Week’s Learning The Language blog posted information and links to a number of resources in English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali for parents with children who might have learning disabilities.

Growing Readers offers a sizable collection of bilingual (English/Spanish) materials offering advice to parents on how to…grow young readers. You can also sign-up to received a new article free by email every month.

Edutopia has just announced they’ve translated two useful parent resources into Spanish: A Parent’s Guide to 21st-Century Learning and Mobile Devices for Learning: What You Need to Know.

To tell you the truth, I’m not sure exactly how useful they are, but it’s always nice to have some decent materials in a language other than English for parents.

Use it at your own risk, though….

Importance of Home Language Series

The Importance of Home Language Series was developed by Head Start for adults living and working with dual language learners. The series of handouts emphasizes the benefits of being bilingual, the importance of maintaining home language, and strategies for becoming fully bilingual. One of the handouts, Language at Home and in the Community, offers eight practices families can do every day at home to support language development. The series is available in English, Spanish, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, Haitian Creole, and Russian.

The Ultimate Guide to ELL or ESL in Spanish.

Let me know if you have other suggestions…..