A Louisiana legislator is proposing a law, similar to the failed effort in Florida, that would give parents grades based on their level of school involvement. Here’s an excerpt from the article:
Harrison’s House Bill 808 lists six things parents would need to do to receive an “A” rating:
– Help students with homework.
– Provide all the necessary school supplies.
– Making sure students obey rules and are well-disciplined.
– Making sure students meet the dress code.
– Participate in student conferences.
– Make sure students attend class regularly.
Here’s a Florida newspaper’s editorial explaining why this kind of proposal is a bad idea. Here’s a critique from The Educated Reporter. And this is from The Washington Post.