Is SayingThat You Have A New Flat Screen TV Really A Way To Show That Parents Are Connected To Your School?

Groups that want to run up to thirty schools in Los Angeles have begun making their presentations to the Los Angeles School Board.

The Mayor’s organization, Partnership For Los Angeles Schools, now runs twelve schools and is competing for some of the schools that are “up for bid.” According to the Los Angeles Times, they claimed increased parent involvement at their present schools:

…. citing “15,000 discrete incidents of parent involvement,” such as parent visits to a school, as well as new flat-screen TVs in the refurbished parent centers.

There may very well be a lot of parent involvement/engagement at their schools, but I have to wonder what metrics they use to identify 15,000 examples. And, come on, citing new flat-screen TV’s?

I know that newspapers don’t necessarily accurately report everything, but it would have been nice to hear a few more specifics about what they consider parent involvement/engagement. I couldn’t find much on their website.

I do hope, though, that they don’t cite flat screen TV’s again….