Dept. Of Ed’s Notice Of Proposed Priorities Don’t Include Communities Or Parent Engagement

Sue Ferguson from National Coalition For Parent Involvement In Education just sent out this alert:

This week, the U.S. Department of Education published the Notice of Proposed Priorities (NPP) for the Secretary’s Priorities for Discretionary Grant Programs in the Federal Register. The Secretary proposes thirteen priorities that the Department may use, as appropriate, for discretionary grant competitions in FY 2011 and future years. These priorities will allow the Department and, by extension, program participants to focus limited Federal resources on areas of greatest educational need. (You can see them here)

There is no mention of families or communities in any of the Priorities. Please read. You must respond by September 7th

I have to admit that I don’t the slightest idea how important this omission is or even how likely the Department will spend any money on any of the priorities. I had never even heard of an “NPP” before today.

Does a reader know if this omission is really a big deal? If so, please leave a comment….