“school districts across the country are doing a terrible job of being responsive to parents” who want to opt-out of testing

Yesterday, I posted about the unwise response by administrators in Chicago and Colorado to parents who want to opt-out their children from standardized testing.

Today, Esther Cepeda, with whom I usually disagree, came out with a column condemning that administrative response.

Here are a couple of excerpts:

But though I believe standardized testing is essential, school districts across the country are doing a terrible job of being responsive to parents who disagree. That’s a problem because schools need parents to feel heard and respected to ensure academic success…

It’s no surprise the hometown of pro-reform President Barack Obama, his education secretary Arne Duncan and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants the test to be taken. But alienating parents and students isn’t the way to do it. Just as life is a high-stakes test, so are the politics of school reform, and Chicago schools’ signpost up ahead reads “Failure.”

One thought on ““school districts across the country are doing a terrible job of being responsive to parents” who want to opt-out of testing