The Best Videos On Parent Engagement

I’ve posted a number of videos related to parent engagement over the years, and I thought that it would be useful to collect the best ones in one post.

You can find links to all my parent engagement “Best” lists here.

Here are my choices for The Best Videos On Parent Engagement:

The Annenberg Institute for School Reform has produced the film “Parent Power” and is offering a copy of it, along with a “viewers guide” for free, though they are charging $10 for shipping and handling. You can also view it online for free.

You can order it here.

Here’s how they describe it:

Through the voices of parents, this film chronicles fifteen years of effective parent organizing for education reform in New York City – organizing that has stopped budget cuts, increased school funding, and led to the adoption of a citywide lead teacher program. The goal of Parent Power is to provide an example of successful education organizing to urban-based community groups looking for organizational inspiration and practical guidance in their own efforts to support, demand, and sustain equitable reforms in their own public schools. A Viewer’s Guide, designed to enhance community groups’ use of the film in their own education organizing efforts, accompanies the film. One free copy is available for an individual or organization Please note: All orders wil be charged $10 shipping and handling.

In addition to watching it online for free (it’s embedded below), you can download the viewers guide for free, too.

Here’s a video about a home visit “blitz” done by teachers in Henderson, Kentucky.

Here’s a video Mai Xi Lee, one of our school’s Vice-Principals, made about our school’s home visiting project and Parent University. For what it’s worth, that’s me speaking after the text introduction….

The movie “Dangerous Minds” is engaging, but it’s one in a long line of nauseatingly paternalistic hero teacher films out there. However, it does have a great two minute clip of a teacher home visit that shows the importance of telling parents positive news about their children. It’s embedded below:

Here’s a useful video from well-known parent engagement researcher Karen Mapp:

And here’s one from another respected researcher on parent engagement, Anne Henderson:

Alexander Russo this video on his blog. No matter what your position is on Bill Ayers and his work, he does make some interesting comments on parents and the community in this short video.

You might also want to check out The Best Reasons Why Parents Should Be Looked At As Allies & Not Targets Of Blame.

Amy Erin Borovoy has put together her own collection of parent involvement/engagement videos over at Edutopia that are worth a look, too.

I’ve previously posted about Tellin’ Stories, a parent engagement strategy and program. Here’s a video about it:

You can see all my “The Best” lists related to parent engagement here.