“Duncan Urges PTA to Promote Education Issues in 2016 Presidential Election”

Duncan Urges PTA to Promote Education Issues in 2016 Presidential Election is the headline of a blog post this past week at Education Week.

It discusses one of the stops on U.S. Education Secretary Duncan’s annual bus tour at schools.

Here’s an excerpt:

U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan called on the National PTA Wednesday morning to make education a major campaign issue for the 2016 presidential election.

“I challenge you: In 2016, could we have a presidential debate around education?” Duncan asked a crowd of about 100 parents and teachers at the Oliver Middle School here. “Can the PTA force that debate?”

I’ve got to say that I’m not holding my breath. The PTA has a lot of potential power, but not anywhere near enough to force much of anything, and their political expertise is suspect, as was demonstrated in the last elections here in California.

But if they really did decide to become a serious player, I can think of far better things for them to do with their power than putting on a presidential debate….

I do hope, though, that they decide to eventually focus their efforts into community organizing….