Not Very Interesting Parent Involvement Survey From U.S. Dept. Of Ed — Except for One Result

Thanks to Joe Mazza, I just learned about the new Parent and Family Involvement in Education, from the National Household Education Surveys Program of 2012 report from The U.S. Department of Education.

I might have missed something, but I didn’t find it very interesting or useful.

Except for one result:

One percent of students in grades 6 through 12 had parents who said that they did not expect their child to complete high school

Statistic vary, but many observers believe the number of students who do not graduate from high school is close to 33%.

Does that mean that this report is not worth “the paper it’s printed on,” or does it mean that many parents are in denial, or does it mean that schools are doing a very poor job of communication with families, or is it combination of all these factors? Or is something else going on?

What do you think?

One thought on “Not Very Interesting Parent Involvement Survey From U.S. Dept. Of Ed — Except for One Result

1. I believe it’s the later: schools do a very poor job of communication with families. As a parent, I get very little insight into how my kids are doing on a regular basis. I have to actively hunt (and believe me when I say active) for marks on paper homework, tests, etc. to figure out what concepts my kids are missing or need help in. For all I know, they will be one of the 33% who don’t graduate and I won’t know until it happens.