“Detroit parents want DPS teachers, officials jailed over low test scores”

“Detroit parents want DPS teachers, officials jailed over low test scores” is the headline of a Detroit News article this week. It goes on to say:

Impassioned parents demanded jail time for educators and district officials Saturday following the release of test scores that showed fourth- and eighth-graders had the worst math scores in the nation.

I know very little about what’s going on in Detroit — only what I read in the papers.

But, it seems safe to say that general relations between schools and parents aren’t looking too good.

The Detroit News article also says the schools are hoping to get 100,000 volunteer hours to help children with reading. That’s obviously important, though I wonder if the District is also considering helping parents be engaged more with the district as “leaders” with power and not just “volunteers.”

One thought on ““Detroit parents want DPS teachers, officials jailed over low test scores”

1. I would love to know what legal basis or precedent these parents are citing that could possibly criminalize low test scores. Seems to me they are looking for a scape goat & avoiding real issues. I would love to read more about it.